Book Corner 2014 - The Power of Twitter

Connecting Authors to Readers

I am, and always have been, an avid reader. Margaret Atwood, Emily Perkins, Robert Glancy and Joanne Harris are among some of my favourite authors. Until recently though, they were people whom I read about, not interacted with. That is, until I discovered Twitter. Each term, I tweet various authors with a series of questions in the hope that we can learn more about them. Here is what we have so far. A special acknowledgement to Paula Pierce, Assistant Head of English, who tirelessly compiles the interviews into our English newsletter each term. Check them out here.


This month we are delighted to hear from New Zealand writer, Emily Perkins. Over the years, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading and teaching Emily's short stories and novels. Her most recent novel, The Forrests, was the first novel I selected on my Kindle. Emily took time out of her busy teaching and marking schedule which we really appreciate. 

Emily Perkins, 2014


Earlier this year, I read Terms and Conditions, by Robert Glancy. Once I finished this amazing read, I discovered that Bob is from Auckland's North Shore, and he was friends with my friend. Immediately I connected with him via Facebook and subsequently, twitter. Bob and his family are lucky to be livinig in France for the year, while he works on his second novel. We have offered to pre read and offer feedback - can't wait.
Robert Glancy, 2014

Introducing...

Book Chat Meme Challenge 

Thanks for your time. Please copy and paste these questions into your own blog, include a photo of yourself reading, and tag other tweeps. Share the reading love.



BOOK CORNER 2014 


Name:
Claim to Fame:
1. What were your English classes like as a teen?
2. What are you currently reading?
3. What were you doing prior to becoming an educator?
4. What was on the family book shelf growing up?
5. Where do you seek Inspiration?
6. Advice to teenagers?
7. Describe your Perfect Day?
8. Who would you want to have lunch with, dead or alive?
9. FREE CHOICE...



Here's Mine

Selfie with my bookshelf

Jo Robson - Head of Learning Area (HOLA) English and Media Studies, TLR Library  

Claim to Fame: 

Mum, Daughter, Sister, Aunty, Leader, Educator, Lover of Life, Laughing, Literature, Language, Travelling, coffee, chocolate & social media. Experiences Adventures, Making the most of Life, Making Life Happen.

1. What were your English classes like as a teen?

I loved English at Long Bay College - I had passionate, intelligent and enthusiastic scholars who were knowledgeable and intelligent. Their enthusiasm was contagious. Lively discussions, collaborative, authentic contexts, thematic and challenging. 

 2. What are you currently reading? 

My bags are packed, ready to hit the beaches of Hawaii. My Kindle is loaded with: Margaret Atwood's latest collection of short stories, Stone Mattress, The History of Rain by Niall Williams, alongside loads of free classics and Shakespeare. Pure BLISS.

3. What were you doing prior to becoming an educator? 
I’ have been teaching and leading now for 15 years, in between having children and completing my MEdLM. Before that, I went on my 'OE' - housekeeping and snowboarding in Canada, plus supply teaching and educational recruitment, both in London and Auckland central.

4. What was on the family book shelf growing up? 

We were surrounded by books - gifts, weekly visits to our local library, listening to Sunday stories on the radio from 6am, reading with Mum and Dad. 

5. Where do you seek Inspiration? 

I am a geek! I love reading and I love learning. I am ALWAYS reading the likes of Margaret Atwood, Bob Glancy and Emily Perkins. who inspire me to write. I also enjoy reading Young Adult fiction (YA), including John Green. Professionally, my readings relate to creativity, empowering students to reach their full potential, ways to improve teaching, leading and learning through pedagogy, blended learning and anything and EVERYTHING I can get my hands on. Joining twitter has broadened my PLN which is so exciting.


6. Advice to teenagers? 

Be true to yourself, live in the moment - try not to rush each stage! READ every day, be polite and respectful - MANNERS get you everywhere. Be appreciative and enjoy every moment. Take responsible risks, dream big and make it happen.


7. Describe your Perfect Day? 

Breakfast in bed, with my Kindle, plus great coffee and yummy treats., followed by a beach picnic with whanau and friends. Later on, dinner at our favourite Japanese restaurant, and a music concert or a good movie with my # 1 man.

8. Who would you want to have lunch with, dead or alive?

Shakespeare - of course! Alongside, U2’s Bono, Canadian writer, Margaret Atwood and Helen Clark, another inspiring, powerful woman. Johnny Depp would be fun too!

What's yours?

Comments