Our Modern Library Learning Environment (MLLE)
Welcome to our AJHS Library - click here -
This is something we constantly ask to ensure that we protect our third place - a place we see as a blend of recreational/information seeking/social flexible space. Ultimately, our library is the heart, the manawa of the school. Therefore, it needs to be: invitational, a point of difference, responsive, reflect and support the school vision, fluid, have adaptable flexible learning spaces, ongoing initiatives, accessible, adaptive, service, spaces, connected, digital, collaborative. Check out our recent presentation here, 'Dancing in the Dark'.
|Flexible Working spaces|
|Adaptive and responsive|
|Utilising our flexible spaces|
|Vibrant, invitational, student centered|
|Our annual book sale - weeding the old, to bring in the new|
|Book Chat - just one of the possibilities|
Challenges and Hurdles to Overcome
- Budget - no increase of budget - parent forum/support from some departments.
- Vision - if stagnant - school vision, the Library / Literacy team are driving changes - continuous PLD/readings
- Skillset - varying IT skillbase of students/staff
- High use: heavy traffic in the library - several items due for refurbishment
- High demand
|Engaged Learners, Blended Learning|
|The Chrome Books have been an excellent addition. |
These are available for students during the day.
How to implement Change?
- Principal - # 1 Driver
- Demand High expectations - staff / teachers / students
- Library thrives on meeting the needs of our students
- Visionary - our vision of a library - focussing on the importance of relationships with students and staff - offering personalised services - being the "go to" person for information needs. Value added, transforming learning. To anticipate and be proactive. Build a team of student librarians. Being a active member of professional groups and undertaking ongoing professional development PLUS The traditional view of a shushing librarian being an exception rather than the rule.
- First impressions count
|Our amazing Library Manager, Sandrea Ware|
|Christmas strawberries, ice cream, meringues & treats to say THANKS to our fantastic student librarians|
|Members of the NARATE committee, at our Term 4 Literary Quiz|
|Professional Learning and Development is held in our Library|
|Fabulous food by Julie, Visual Impact Ltd|
|Christmas Cheer for All |
Students & staff collected luxury food items for the Albany Salvation Army's Christmas Appeal, 2014
|Wishing you a very |
Meri Kirihimete e te whānau
AJHS Library Team 2014