Keynote: Education 3.0: The Learning World of Middle Earth is Fast-Changing
Professor Curt Bonk
A lively keynote from Professor Curt Bonk - with huge provocations and wonderings about where learning fits in our fast changing 'Middle' Earth.
Where is it going?
Charles Wedemeyer - Learning at the Back Door - pioneer f distance learning
Emerging Technologies -
Face to face - correspondence?
- life change - not test scores
If you don't study - you shall not pass. This rhetoric, accompanied with Study Skills.If you are not adapting, a plan to change, then...
Learning - "anyone can learn from anyone at anytime"Age of Instructor as Curator, Concierge, Counsellor
Flexible opportunities - learning - pushing boundaries and edges
Recommended Readings: (#ProfReading)
- Drive - Daniel Pink
- GRIT - Angela
- Big Magic - Elizabeth Gilbert
- Wired to Create - Kaufman and Carolyn Gregory
- Originals - Adam Grant
- The Innovators - Walter Isaacson (2014)
- Mindset - Dweck
- Creativity INC. - Ed Catmull
- Invasion of the MOOCs
- MOOcs and Open Education
Check out this: Knowldege Navigaotr (1987) - predictions
Thirty Ways Learning is Changing:
self directed, global, open, massive, mobile, ubiquitous, informal, video-based, collaborative,global,
To ensure learning is: just in time, when we need it
Move from wikipedia to video learning:
- Feb 17 2016 (India) Smart phone: for less than $4USD
- May 14 2015 - Smartphone separation - nomophobia
- MArch 2 2015 - Zombies blindly walking
- Jan 7 2015 - Learning is more Flipped (Khan)
- March 31 2016 -
- June 16 2015 - Lynda.com - 'what do you want to learn today?'
- April 2016 AACE - open
Learning is more:
learning is more direct from experts
synchronous - many to many (Zoom)
immediate science happening - data can be utilised immediately
informal - '
hands on - makey makey
massive - MOOCs
- Plagiarism and
Retention tool - Starbucks - 4 years
Key Takeaway: We can't do this alone, but what we do know is, we need to ADAPT, and we need to ADAPT - NOW.Tēnā rawa atu koe, thanks Curt - great pace and overall, a very thought provoking keynote.
|Hobbiton with Jesse and Curt...'Middle Earth'|