Innovation in Education
I have been considering innovation and what it looks like in the schools I am working with. If we take a moment to reflect on the 8 characteristics of the Innovator's Mindset below, then I feel confident that many Aotearoa NZ schools/kura are on their future focused journey...
|Image: @gcouros @sylviaduckworth|
#edchatnzMOOC - always learning
Reflecting on my first MOOC, (you can read more here), I loved being challenged, stretched and continuously learning. Danielle Myburgh, founder of #edchatnz, inspires thousands of educators. She is currently undertaking her Masters, exploring whether an online course (MOOC – massive open online course), can be used to engage more people in discussion of ideas about education futures.
#IMMOOC - Episode 2
Featuring: Shawn Clark and Brady Venables
- Role models - as leaders, we need to model what we value
- Empathy, Relationships, Questions
- Empower our Teachers / Leaders - spark their curiosity
- Risk taking - open learning conversations to create a culture of improvement
Maurie Abraham, from Hobsonville Point Secondary School, recently asserted: "our job is to lead change, not manage the status quo". My Wero to you:
- If school wasn't compulsory, would your learners still WANT to come to your school / classrooms?
How might you make your school/classroom invitational?
- In what ways do your learners see themselves in your school / classrooms?
How is your school/classrooms culturally responsive?
- In what ways do you ensure your school/classrooms are meeting the needs of ALL our learners in an inclusive way?